Many military spouses face a number of challenges when it comes to employment, careers and educational pursuits. They are often disrupted due to new postings, changing labour markets, and credentials not being recognized inter-provincially/internationally, leaving military spouses restarting the process over again.
Employment and education status can impact ones feeling of self-worth which is why we have a number of programs available to assist you.
- One-on-one career and education counselling
- Portfolio development
- Job search marketing strategies
- Exam proctoring
- Summer Job Workshops for students
- Employment Cafes
- Guest speakers offer a light hearted look at employment challenges and the resources available
- Employment and Education resources and so much more…
What if there was a tool that could…
- Provide a more clear and concise educational/employment direction
- Take pieces and parts of unfinished formal education, combined with everyday learning to assist towards the completion of a diploma/degree/certificate from an accredited educational institution
- Be used by people in all ages and stages of their lives; bringing light to their own unique learning history and used towards whatever goal they choose
- Provide a stable foundation of information and documentation
Well there is! It’s called a Portfolio!
Portfolio development can benefit people who are facing transition, whether you are releasing from the military or a military spouse looking for a new opportunity. It is the perfect tool for job seekers, small business owners, someone considering further education or unsure of their next step. Portfolio development provides a platform to demonstrate formal and informal learning towards a specific goal. Career, education, master/mini, entrepreneurial and self-discovery are amongst the many types of portfolios we assist with. In addition, we are pleased to announce that we have formalized a partnership with Loyalist College accrediting our portfolio course. Those seeking to challenge further educational credentials may receive a course credit for this session and everyone completing the course and submitting a portfolio will receive a Loyalist/MFRC Certificate. We also have an MOU with Centennial College and are building a Community of Practice nationwide with various other educational institutions!
We offer two separate Portfolio Development courses, one for Military Spouses and one for Canadian Forces Members who are or have been medically released in conjunction with the Veteran’s Family Program.
Workshops run every April and October.
Childcare may be available and must be requested in advance. Space is limited so register early by contacting Elizabeth.
Helping Entrepreneurs Reach Complete Success started in partnership with Loyalist College Enactus students and has grown to national status. Offered online through WebEx with funding from MFS. This award winning program offers a series of workshops to members of the military community who are interested in becoming small business owners. Learn more about HERCS and when the next session will run on CAFConnection.ca: https://www.cafconnection.ca/HERCS.
*Please note that the January session is now closed due the overwhelming number of registrations. We encourage you to sign up for the February session at: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FebSuperSaturday
- Free service for military spouses looking for work
- Free service for local employers who are looking to hire
Military Spouses Employment Network
"Military Spousal Employment Network will allow military spouses to connect with dedicated national employers that strive to provide equal employment opportunities to military spouses/partners, amidst the challenges associated with military lifestyle. Free for spouses and partners of Canadian Armed Forces members, the Network is a self-directed resource with direct access to explore committed employers and their available employment opportunities, an online job board, and participate in virtual and in-person career fairs – uniquely for military spouses/partners."
Visit https://msen.vfairs.com or connect via Facebook.
For more information on the Trenton MFRC's Employment services, please contact:
Elizabeth Nicholas, Employment & Education Coordinator:
- 613-392-2811 ext. 3852
- email@example.com (to be used at this current time)
- firstname.lastname@example.org (not able to access remotely so response times will be delayed due to COVID-19)
Colleen Fleury, Employment & Education Coordinator:
- 613-392-2811 ext. 3852